lunes, 13 de enero de 2014

ROAST BEEF AND MORE


I have to confess I haven´t had the guts to make roast beef before. Actually, during the past holidays finally I´ve made two, one at Christmas Eve and the other one on the 6th Jan, which is the Three Kings day, for us in Spain the children´s day.  I´m going to write the way I made both, I´m sorry about the pictures, carving is not compatible with taking pictures. I was very happy with the result.





The cut of beef for roasting is of great importance. Beef on the bone is great as the bone acts as a conductor of heat and gives the roast extra flavour. My piece of rib eye weighted 4kg.800gr. I was having many people for dinner and lunch both days.



I asked my butcher if he could remove the ribs, but tie them together with the meat, so I could manipulate it better afterwards.

ROAST BEEF
Pre heat the oven to 250º
Rub the piece with salt.



Place the joint in a roasting tin. Give it 20 minutes cooking at 250º, after that turn the heat down to 190º and cook it for 10 minutes to 500grams, this will give you rare beef. When it is cooked, remove it from the oven, and allow it to stand for up to half an hour, loosely covered with foil, before carving. This is basically done so all the precious juices that have bubbled up to the surface seep back into the flesh. Also, as the meat relaxes it will be easier to carve. 

The finishing touch is to serve the succulent beef with Yorkshire pudding, gravy, and potatoes pure.

For the Yorkies, you´ll need this mold.



YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS

INGREDIENTS  - SERVES 12
Vegetable oil to pour inside the molds
4 large free-range eggs
200g plain flour
200ml milk
Salt and pepper to season

METHOD
Add a splash of oil into each of the 12 compartments of the mold. Pop into the oven for 10 minutes, you can do this while the meat is resting outside the oven. The mold has to get very very hot.
Mix all the ingredients together with an electric mixer or a food processor.
Remove the tray from the oven, pour the batter evenly into the compartments.
Cook for 15 minutes, and there you go, you´ll get perfect Yorkies.


Then when you carve the beef and serve, you put a couple of slices of the beef, a yorkshire pudding, the gravy and some potatoes puré. This is delish!!!. 


There weren´t leftovers really.


Now I want to show you the dessert I made for Christmas day. Well I made it a week before that, I saw Jamie Oliver making it and I had to try it. He used Vin Santo, but I didn´t want to add alcohol to this dessert.

You´ll need a bowl, ice cream, strawberry jam, a panettone or a brioche and a handfull of pistachios. I´ve used whole cream ice-cream.
Line a pudding bowl with 3 layers of cling film. Use a knife to slice the panettone, then cut them in half. You´ll need some panettone left over, so keep this for another time. Arrange six of the slices in a single layer around the bowl and push them down if they overlap. Use the back of a spoon to smear the jam over the sponge. Add the ice-cream and sprinkle in the pistachios.
Put the rest of the panettone slices on top of the ice cream, then cover the bowl tightly with cling film. Press a plate down on top to press everything down, then freeze overnight or longer.
This is how it looked.





Once you cut it, it looks like this.





DONE!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario